I’ve been asked by Currys PC World to think about my favourite book, film or TV show that I have watched or read in 2014. This got me thinking, there have been so many things I have enjoyed this year. Here are some of my highlights, leading to my favourite of the year.
- My favourite book I read this year (to be fair I don’t manage to make my way through that many) was Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
- Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I would have to say the last few episodes of season 1 made my jaw drop. I didn’t see coming what happened, plus the cross over with Captain America: The Winter Soldier proved why Marvel has explored both the big and small screens
- The end of How I Met Your Mother – the ending might not have been what I was hoping for, but the show was sent off well
- The Fall – I got to this show late, so did a marathon of season 1 in November and then have been watching season 2 this December. Absolutely incredible. Yes it is wrong to fancy a serial killer, you may wonder why they would cast someone so good looking in such a role, but you realise it is an incredibly important part of the story
- The Missing – Again, another late comer for me. I only watched it this weekend, but wow, what a show
- Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom – I watched this on Sunday, this is the most I have cried this year. The film didn’t do as well as people thought, but I was impressed with the story telling and the use of real footage and images of the scenes as they happened
- Horns – I never read the book, but was invited to the premiere. At first I thought the film was funny but predictable, then it turned into WTF?! A brilliant film, if you haven’t seen it I recommend it
- Grey’s Anatomy – so good I watch it all year round. When the new season isn’t on I dig out the old DVDs and start again
- X Factor – this year has been full of really good contestants, plus at week four, when Ben Haenow sang Highway to Hell I suddenly thought he could be the winner, I never thought it before and I usually am pretty good at guessing the finalists from the auditions. And I was right, from that week on he had the highest votes every week
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 – This also had a shocker that I wasn’t expecting. And the special effects, in particular Jamie Foxx’s electric blue skins was pretty impressive
- Gone Girl – this one is missing from my picture because I completely forgot to add it to my list. How could I forget this, such an epic film. I really wish I had read the book, but I perhaps wouldn’t have been as shocked or constantly trying to predict what was actually going on
So that leads me on to my highlight of the year. I’ve thought about this a lot. There is a lot I have talked about, The Fall is a weekly topic, but only while it has been on air. There is one film however that has been at the forefront of my mind and conversation throughout 2014 so it had to be my choice.
It is of course, Guardians of the Galaxy. Firstly, I was excited from the trailer and I had no idea what the story actually was about. Then I was invited to a 17 minute preview of the film. Ok, this looked epic. Then I got to go to a preview of the film – amazing. Hello baby dancing Groot! I have been checking if a toy version existed, found out it was being made, apparently ready for Christmas and have been waiting ever since. And then there is that soundtrack. Since the film’s release I have listened to at least one song off that soundtrack on shuffle on my iPhone every day.
So there you have it, an obvious choice in my eyes. But what have you enjoyed the most this year?
Image sources: glamour / Marvel Wikia / Wonderbearden / DC Comics / Huffington Post / Atlantablackstar / BBC / Mirror / Good Reads / MTV / Blastr / digitalspy /io9 / ibtimes
I have not been paid by Currys PC World to write this post, nor to write about any of these shows/films or book in particular. All thoughts are my own.